Business Entity - Certificate of Authorization

In Kansas, a 'business entity' means a general corporation, professional corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, corporate partnership or other legal entity created by law.  In order to practice or offer to practice a technical profession through a business entity, the business entity must have a KSBTP Certificate of Authorization.  

Application Form

The Board does not accept electronic signatures or scanned copies of applications. All submissions must have a wet signature to be processed by the Board.

Click the above text to open. This application is for a business entity to practice (or offer to practice) a technical profession in Kansas.

Who needs a Certificate of Authorization?
Kansas Statutes state if you are going to "practice or to offer to practice in the state of Kansas" a technical profession through a business entity, the business entity needs a KSBTP Certificate of Authorization. The only type of business entity not required to have a Certificate of Authorization is a sole proprietor.     

Other Forms

Change of Name for Business Entity form
To provide information to KSBTP to change the name of the Business Entity.

Responsible Principal Change form
To provide information to KSBTP to change the Responsible Principal for a Business Entity.

Reinstatement for Business Entities form
To reinstate a Business Entity after cancellation or voluntary lapse.  The fee for Reinstatement of a Business Entity is $100.

Renewal for Business Entity
Link to the renewal process for a Business Entity.

Helpful Links

FAQS for New Business Entities

How soon will a license be issued? 
It takes approximately 2 business days from receipt of the application to the issuance of a license number if the application is complete. An approval letter and wall certificate will be mailed the same day your business' license is granted. 

Will I be contacted/ When will I be contacted?
If a requirement is missing or found unsatisfactory you will be contacted within 2 business days of the application's receipt via e-mail from our Assistant Director (if no e-mail is provided a letter will be mailed to the business' address). If your application is processed and approved your first contact from KSBTP will be the receipt of your business' approval letter in the mail. 

The KS Secretary of State's Office is asking for a certificate verifying my professional license and company name before I can register with them, where may I request this? 
E-mail with the name of your responsible principal and proposed business name to receive this verification document. There is currently no form on our website to fill out for this sometimes required certificate.